Rolling Road (ROLA) - Accompanied combined transport
With this kind of Intermodal traffic Rail Cargo Austria transports complete road vehicles (trucks) on trains comprising low-floor wagons (rolling road wagons) throughout. The drivers accompany their vehicles in day coaches or couchettes.
The trucks are transferred in terminals via mobile ramps. The vehicles are subject to specific re-quirements applicable to the category and the loading gauge of the line traveled.
- Reduction in fuel consumption and kilometers to be operated
- Compliance with driver rest periods without interrupting transports
- Avoiding waiting times due to traffic back-up
- No expenses for road pricing/tolls
- Avoidance of night-time ban on driving